Sunday, March 25, 2012

Radiofax shows online

Andy Burnham (ex of Radiofax) writes: “We are approaching the 20th anniversary of the closedown of the shortwave station Radiofax later this year and I have taken on the task of uploading archive programmes from my weekly technical programme Sparks and others, from the early programmes, going right up until the closedown in September 1992.

“I am finding some fascinating stuff in these programmes, the period of the early 1990s when digital technologies were just starting to take off, but before the Internet took hold is often overlooked so I’m hoping to redress the balance a little.

“I’m hoping to restart the uploads over the weekend - I’m working on it now - but I thought I must get in touch in the hope you can add a mention from the Media Network blog before it closes. I will be adding more over the coming weeks and months, much like Jonathan Marks is doing on his Media Network archive blog.”

Andy Sennitt of Media Network adds: The URL is www.radiofax.org and I have added it to the list of links on the right of this page. Radiofax was featured a number of times on Media Network, and of course the team included the late Bob Tomalksi, who was a friend of the programme and sadly passed away in 2001. I often wonder what Bob would have made of all the changes that have taken place in international broadcasting in the first decade of this century.

Radiofax was an unlicensed station that believed in producing quality programming rather than just playing records. Programmes included science, technology and media news.Co-founders Andy Burnham and Trevor Brook fought a valiant campaign to get a licence to broadcast on shortwave. The case even reached the International Court of Human Rights.

Info via Radio Netherlands Media Network

This was one of the final items posted to the Media Network weblog which closed yesterday. I for one will be sorry to see it go. It was a great source for news from the world of shortwave and radio in general.

No comments: