Thursday, March 27, 2014

Happy Birthday Radio Caroline

Fifty years ago  tomorrow marks the day Radio Caroline took the airwaves with regular programmes, and changed British radio forever. There's been quite a lot written and on the radio about the anniversary but very little on the TV. I thought we might have even got a documentary. But it seems not to be.

But ITV's Meridian service in the south of England has done an eight minute report on the anniversary. Here's the link:

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2014-03-26/radiocaroline50/

(Source: ITV via Alan Pennington, BDXC-UK Yahoo group)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My local community radio station here in Bristol has marked the anniversary - with a little prompting! And I am sure there will be a few shortwave pirates on the air over the next few days to make the point that unlicensed radio is still a movement worth while and an aspiration worth supporting.

We all have our memories of Caroline: for me, the station -along with Laser 558 / 576 - was a great friend during my teenage years. It was friendly and intelligent in a way that BBC Radio 1 at the time could never hope to emulate. I know that it's not the same today, but I for one am still glad that the Caroline organisation exists and that the internet has given a new lease of life to one of most iconic stations in Europe.